Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

New Life for an Thrifted Picnic Basket

One of the reasons I started blogging was to show my finds from Goodwill and how I use them
in my home. For some people who don't go to thrift stores, they probably would think
thrifters homes look like they are stuck in the 60's or 70's.

But those of us who are thrifters know that many times we can take inexpenisive finds
and turn them into one of a kind items that everyone wants.

Let me show you my latest find,


Does anybody remember when decorating with apples was so popular? I bought this picnic basket
at Goodwill for a couple of dollars. I wasn't attracted to the apples or the raffia. I was attracted to the
shape and that it was in good shape - everything else - not so much!


So I pulled off the raffia and apples and spray painted it all white.
Because the nobs where apples, I bought some every inexpensive wood knobs.

I wasn't quite sure where I wanted to use it so set it in my office on the shelf,
still unsure how I really wanted to use it.



I made a flower out of lace, ribbon and tulle which turned out really pretty
and I stuffed it full of odds and ends that I didn't know where to put them.


But it still wasn't exactly how I thought I'd use this basket....


and then I came up with an idea....


I emptied all the junk I had put in it and carried it downstairs into the spare bedroom that I'm decorating for Macie. You can read more about it here.


And the picnic basket is now holding books that we'll read to Macie when she
comes to stay at our home.


 I have yet not needed to by any books that are new because my favorite Goodwill store
has a bin full of childrens books and they cost 50 cents each.


As with anything that I buy, it needs to be wiped down because
there are so many germs that little ones don't need to be exposed to.
And I certainly don't like to get sick either.

My picnic basket now has a new function by holding reading books.
 I'm in the midst of working out some details for the room redo for
our beautiful Macie.


Macie is going to be staying with us next month for a couple of
days while her parents go to Las Vegas.
She's not crawling yet, but it's won't be very long and it'll be time
to baby proof our home.
How is it possible to love a grandbaby so much!?!


Next on the agenda for Macie's room.....
the walls...pretty much bare


and everything on this wall will come down.
I might save this butterfly that I also got a Goodwill several years ago
but it will need a new color..something bright to fit in with my plans!

Thanks for stopping by,
I'm so glad you stopped by and I'm having so much fun
redoing this room that has sat empty for 4 years...

Now I'm off to make a Pinterest dessert...
stay tune, I'll let you know if it's any good!

Don't forget to check out my giveaway going on too!
Linking to these wonderful parties
Thrifty Treasures
Metamorphis Monday

4 comments:

Shabby chic Sandy said...

The basket has renewed life being white. The flower looks pretty too!

Rachel said...

I like your basket (minus the apples, ha ha)! I see them everywhere, but never think to take one home & pretty it up.
Rachel :)

Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home said...

I love your basket makeover! Penny

Lori said...

Terry, What a beautiful grand-daughter, enjoy each and every day cuddling her! Lori

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails