Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

I'm very lucky...because my husband loves to cook...

One of his signature meals, is his homemade chicken noodle soup..and when I go to stay with Crystal when the baby is born, this will be one meal I'll be making for them...
This is a family favorite..


Buy a bag of carrots and celery...chop up 3-4 carrots and 3 -4 celery sticks.
we leave the skin on the carrots...makes it that much easier to make..
and you have left over carrots and celery to snack on..


Chop up one large onion..probably best to chop it fine but
really it's your preference..


Put them in your crockpot and mix up with your hands...
you'll want to have a large size crock pot..
makes a large batch and the soup is better the second day
(if you have any leftovers!)


Then add two large cartons of chicken broth..


also a package of chicken thighs..skin..bones...all of it..
raw...we like it best with 4 thighs..


the add a tablespoon of parsley, basil & garlic powder
and salt & pepper....


See how the crock pot is full?
Put it on low and let it cook for six hours or so...


Then you'll need to take the chicken out and sit it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to cool.
Pick the meat off the book and shred it for the soup..
Once you've got this done, put it back in the crockpot.
Make sure to taste the broth because it probably needs more salt..
Discard the bones and skin...


At this point you can add homemade noodles or you can add some frozen noodles.
These taste just like homemade....and one package is enough.
You can find them in the freezer section of any grocery store...
Cook on low for another hour and it's ready....


Guaranteed to be a favorite for your family!

So now I've got one meal covered...
As I mentioned, I'll be staying with Crystal and Stuart once the baby is born
and I need some ideas for other meals..

Leave a comment and let me know what your families favorite meal is..

I'm linking to these parties...

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Yum! My mother-in-law used to make the best chicken noodle soup. She would even make her own noodles. Unfortunately even though I got all her cookbooks and recipes when she passed away she didn't ever write down the chicken noodle soup recipe, that baby was in her head and she took it with her!

So thanks for sharing this one. I'm making it this weekend, guaranteed!

Diane Mars said...

Oh that looks so yummy my hubby loves to cook too... it is great gives me more time to play in my craft room. oxox, Diane

Teresa said...

Fall weather makes me crave soup. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful crockpot meal. Another crockpot meal we love is Chili Verde. We serve it burrito or enchilada style with refried beans (from a can), Cafe Rio rice or Spanish rice (usually leftover from another meal and pulled out of my freezer), and toppings such as cheese, salsa or pico de gallo, sour cream, guacamole, etc.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails