Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Dehydrating Fruit - Weight Watchers Snack



When DH and I got married, he brought with him (besides some interesting clothes), a dehydrator. I had no idea what people did with them other than dry stuff - right? DH said he used the dehydrator for making beef jerky(really good jerky of which I have yet to have, hint..hint) and insisted that we needed to keep it and he would make make some for us. (still waiting for that day)

Several years ago, (when I was smarter and skinnier), I use to go to Weight Watchers and they talked about dehydrating apples as a healthy snack. Just slice the apples, sprinkle some cinnamon on and turn on the dehydrator. I leave the skin on and even leave the seeds in the apple and use the entire apple, the hardest part is waiting for it to be done. I'd estimate it takes about takes 8 to 10 hours and it's ready to eat. The great part of this is, you can buy the cheapest apples and they all taste wonderful!

I've done pineapple, I used pineapple tidbits this time but next time I'll stick with the pineapple rings so that the pieces are bigger. (make sure to cut them up for faster dehydrating)

And here's the peaches, they turn a beautiful orange color and are nice and chewy..
Get a large can of sliced peaches and cut them in half and you're ready to go.


Here's the apples that are I just starting dehydrated. It smells like a apple pie is in the oven.


I've also dehydrated grapes, apricots, bananas & cherries. Just make sure to cut up the fruit to ensure quick drying time. If you dehydrate grapes or cherries, make sure to pierce the skin. I'm not real crazy about bananas but red grapes are to die for!

It's a great snack to take on the road and the kids will love it. But be prepared, they'll eat it faster than you can make it.

What have you dehydrated besides beef jerky?

Signed - still waiting for DH to make beef jerky.

2 comments:

Neabear said...

I don't have a dehydrator, but it sounds like it would be a good thing to have. So the red grapes are to die for huh? Now you really have me wanting a dehydrator. LOL!

We have a restaurant here in town called The Red Grape. Very good place.

Angie said...

I don't have one of those, but the snacks sound good! Yes, that lemon topiary was broken when I bought it and the lady probably thought I was crazy for buying it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails