Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie


This past week, I had some rhubarb in the garden that was ready
to put to use. I've never made a pie from rhubarb but will
always order it when out eating.
It's been about 5 years since I've made a pie entirely from scratch. Rolling out the crust was so easy and tastes so much better than a frozen crust or one in a tube.



I wanted to share my pie recipe with you.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

4 cups chopped rhubarb
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1/3 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 T lemon juice
1/4 t cinnamon
Pastry for a 9" double crust pie
1 egg, beaten


In bowl, combine first 6 ingredients.
On lightly floured surface roll out 1/2 of the pastry and line pie plate. Spoon in filling.
Brush pastry rim with egg. Lay remaining pastry on top, trim and flute edge.Brush top of pie with egg and sprinkle sugar on.
Bake on baking sheet at 425F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375F and bake 50-60 minutes or until rhubarb is tender, filling thickened and crust golden.

Sorry, no pictures but trust me...it's yummy!
Next week I'm going to make another pie and I'll make sure to take a picture.

What's your favorite kind of pie?

I'm linking to:




4 comments:

Ro said...

Hello, I just popped over from Java's Follow Friday 40 and over blog hop. That pie sounds delicious! I've made lots of rhubarb pies before but never thought to include cinnamon. Sounds wonderful! I'm following you now and look forward to getting to know you better. Happy weekend! :)

Teresa @ ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ said...

That sounds yummy, though I must confess that I've never had rhubarb pie. That's pretty sad considering I'm a southern gal, huh? :0) I absolutely LOVE strawberry pie, so I will have to be sure and save this recipe. My husband loves to cook/bake.

Hi, I'm stopping by from 'Follow Friday 40 & Over'. I wanted to say hello and share some comment lo♥e.

I just became your newest 'Follower' and I would really like it if you would take a moment to check out my blog and follow me, too, if you like what you see.

I hope you have a really wonderful weekend!

Blessings,

Teresa <><

♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥

Anonymous said...

Mmmm! Great recipe! Thanks! Have a great weekend!

Natasha in Oz said...

That looks divine! I am not sure if I can find decent strawberries over here in Australia at the moment but I might just try to so I can make this!

Best wishes and happy weekend,
Natasha.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails