Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Guest Post - The Scrap Shoppe


Hello, Cherished Treasures readers!
I'm Michele, and I create at The Scrap Shoppe


I'm really excited to be here to share a fun project that has been ages in the making.
I have a terrible tendency to pick up/plan projects and leave them sitting around for literally years. Isn't that awful? This little project I have had in mind to make for at least 2 years, and I'm happy to see it finally complete!



I found this fabulous wooden HOME banner in a kit from Adorn-It at a scrapbook convention. 

The kit came with great directions on what papers to purchase to match the colorful design they show above, but it creates at least 2 problems for me.

First, as much as I love the bright color combo above, that won't fit anywhere in my house!
And 2, I have a slight banner addiction. I try to keep them holiday-related so I can rotate them around, so a banner that is up all year round could take up valuable other-banner space. ;)


I knew where I wanted my non-banner to go so I gathered some papers that would match my black and white kitchen. I fell in love with the Union Square collection from My Mind's Eye!

I traced the letters on the paper, cut them out, then used Mod Podge to attach the two together. I made sure to sand the edges so they were nice and clean.


The kit also came with some lovely little shape embellishments. I knew I wanted to decorate my letters with them somehow, so I traced, cut, and Mod Podged a couple of those also.

At this point I also decided to go back and ink all of my edges with black ink.


I used various shapes from the kit and other embellishments from my stash to decorate each letter. And to make it even more "homey", I found a chipboard house and tree in my stash and covered them with more scrapbook paper.


Since I knew I didn't want another banner, I layered the letters in front and behind one another and glued them in place. Now instead of a hanging banner I have a fun sign to sit on a shelf!


My black hutch is my pride and joy in my eat-in kitchen. 
And I think the HOME sign is the perfect addition to it! 

(By the way, did you notice my chalkboard banner up there? I might have had to take that beauty down to hang the HOME sign! Now they can both be on display.) ;)

And another project to mark off of my to do list!
Always a good feeling.

Thank you so much for having me over today, Terry!

I would love to have you all over to visit me sometime. 
I dabble in a little bit of everything: paper crafts, home decor, jewelry making.. 
a little something for everyone!


(Terry here) - What a fantastic group of projects...thank you Michele!
I can't decide which project I love the most...
the HOME banner or the HOME sign or it might be the
chalkboard banner...everything is simply gorgeous!!

I hope you've enjoyed these projects as much as I have. Be sure to stop back next Friday for another wonderful guest post!

6 comments:

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Love this Michele! Right there with you as you know on the banner addiction. Great letter shapes and really love the papers!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Thanks so much for having me over today, Terry!

And thank you, Carol, for your sweet comments. :)

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

I love this Michele!!! The letters are so pretty and I love the way you embellished them. They look fabulous on your hutch!!

Jessica @ Sunny Tuesday said...

I love the home sign! It looks right at home with your chalkboard bunting (no pun intended - haha!).

Crystal said...

Very cute! I have some letters similar to these that have been sitting around for a while. You have inspired me to make them!

Unknown said...

Wow! This is so utterly adorable! Too - too - cute!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails